Full pressure at tap when water to heater is turned off?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leojr

Reaction score
While diagnosing a low temp and fast depletion of hot water, we noticed that I could turn off the inlet water to the water heater and the double handle hot faucet would show no pressure or flow change, just that the temp got cold.

I seem to have full pressure to the hot taps whether the valve to the water heater is on or off. I do not have a recirculation system. Is this normal or not?

If you haven't had any plumbing work done in your home recently, suspect that a single handle shower or faucet in the house could be crossing over. That would be the cause of the initial problem.

Thanks for the fast responses!!

I retraced my Sunday plumbing work and solved most of the problem! I the dark and cramped workspace I crossed the flex water lines under my sunken bath tub connecting the two water lines (hot and cold) together.

After a few facepalms I correct this and solved most of the problem. There is still a cross feed flow enough to maintain a small but unbroken stream of water.

Of the three single handle faucets one of them is suspect. I'll change it first.

Thanks again! I learned a lot by reading all of the other people's questions and answers!

Back