Frozen pipes in unheated garage

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yhuynh

Reaction score
We have a copper drain pipe that comes out from the water heater (heated closet) into an unheated garage that then gets piped outside. Recently we've been seeing temperatures of 20F and the copper pipe has burst. (There are 2 hot/cold PEX water lines above it for a winterized outdoor shower). In addition, there is a cold water line that feeds a 2 spigots (one in garage, and one outside garage wall) which is at risk of freezing.

My contractor suggested installing an electric baseboard heater in that area to keep the pipes from freezing but it seems terribly inefficient given that the garage is largely uninsulated and cold air can get in easily from the sliding garage doors. I was thinking that it might be worth trying to just apply heat tape and insulation to these lines but my contractor said heat tape typically works better in an enclosed space like a wall.

Looking forward to hearing some thoughts and suggestions

Thanks very much!

WechatIMG118.jpg

WechatIMG117.jpg

Yes heat tape. I have heat tape and insulated construction trailers before and they never froze in Michigan. Maybe even build a little enclosure with some insulation around it.

ct-18 is correct even if its a temp box (or a permanent removable
No that a great idea along with heat tape on a thermostat
I changed a shower valve in someone's garage it was heat traced
it was 25 degrees it still thug

Going a little off the main topic, but you stated a "copper DRAIN line" coming off of your water heater is what burst.

The only "drain" off of a water heater is the pipe that attaches to the T&P valve. There should not be any water in that pipe, unless there is excess pressure from the water in the water heater.

Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks everyone for your input! Glad to hear the heat tape should be effective.

jeffmattero76 - It's a condensate outlet for a tankless water heater (photo attached) it's the rightmost copper pipe which drops into a reducer. My understanding is that the amount of water varies based on temperature/humidity

WechatIMG119.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input! Glad to hear the heat tape should be effective.

jeffmattero76 - It's a condensate outlet for a tankless water heater (photo attached) it's the rightmost copper pipe which drops into a reducer. My understanding is that the amount of water varies based on temperature/humidity
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I don't know much about tankless water heaters, but, if they are capturing heat out of the exhaust stream, then there will be condensate, just as in a 90+ gas furnace.

Back