Frozen ball valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastronomique

Reaction score
I have two frozen ball valves, Legend T1100. They are on the hot and cold water pipes feeding into the bathtub. They are attached to PVC half inch pipes which move laterally when I try to shut off the valves. The pipes same a bit fragile so I'm reluctant to force the valves for fear of causing the pipes to break. I tried WD-40, loosening the nut that holds the valve lever in place, and releasing the pressure release. Neither valve will budge. Any suggestions on how to open the valves?
If I need to replace them, can I just unscrew the valves from the PVC joints? I've never connected PVC to metal pipes or joints. I would probably be more comfortable replacing the PVC with copper and replacing the valves.
The house is 80 years old but the valves and PVC look pretty new.
I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230121_212447.jpg
    IMG_20230121_212447.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230121_212454.jpg
    IMG_20230121_212454.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230121_213504.jpg
    IMG_20230121_213504.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230121_212852.jpg
    IMG_20230121_212852.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Hold onto the valve when turning the handle and ensure you are turning the proper way.

As SHEPLMBR said, "Hold onto the valve when turning the handle". Use a pipe wrench to hold the body of the valve. Close the jaws around the valve body with the handle of the valve running horizontally. Note that the wrench is being used "sideways" to prevent stress on the pipe. Use a piece of pipe that will fit over the valve handle as a "cheater". Hold the valve in place with the pipe wrench and rotate the valve handle clockwise. Do this with the water off just in case you do break the piping. There will still be some water that will come out should you break the piping.

If you cannot get the valves to operate, then as Geofd said, "cut one side out and replace the valves".

This is a good time to remind people to operate all ball valves at least once a year to prevent them from getting stuck.

Legend ball valves are good ones and should break loose. Shut the main water off and do like MicED said. Try to close and
then open and keep doing that until you can close all the way.

This is a good time to remind people to operate all ball valves at least once a year to prevent them from getting stuck.
Great idea.

That reminds me of when we sold my elderly aunts house on Long Island in New York. My experience in house selling and purchasing is that a new owner would come in and just transfer the billing for water and sewer. But no that’s not how this local water company worked, they insisted upon shutting off the water as soon as the billing was shut off for my aunt. Sounded like a questionable practice to me, considering the fact that the valve in the street had not been shut off since 1960, when it was first turned on when the home was built! Thankfully, they didn’t have a problem, but operating a shut off valve buried 60 inches below grade, that is half a century old ++ didn’t sound like a good idea…

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I have not yet had a chance to tackle this project but I will consider all your suggestions. I'll start by trying again to turn the valves using wrenches. Hopefully it will go smoothly. If not, valve replacement would be my next step.

To answer a question, the valves are inside the house and the water inside is not frozen. But the valves are stuck. Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back