Free Standing Tub Filler issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnymcl

Reaction score
After a few bumps in the road our bathroom remodel is coming along nicely and near completion.
Our last issue we have is with the tub filler. We put a cherry vent (matches our cabinets) in to obtain access to the plumbing junctures that we are happy with ( a custom shop in Hyannis beveled and routed it). We try not to stand over the workman and bother them so don't notice some things until they leave for the day. We are always onsite to ask questions. They did the tiling yesterday so the floor is cemented in, large dark tiles. Late at night (who sleeps these days) we were discussing how the filler would go in and think their plan is to screw it into the floor, through tile, concrete board and two layers of plywood underpayment. We are worried it might not give enough strength with the large length of a filler cap and may be unstable..... or worse crack the tiles they go through. The tiler comes at eight so will see what he says. I can see with all the overlapping specialties that aren't always here at the same time problems coming up....."not my problem"
So..... is that a standard installation and being burned once we are being overly anxious or do we have a problem? I have been brainstorming solutions and nothing good comes up. We could A) Live with and be cautious around its (and hope any visitors/kids are also ... risky
B) Build some some sort of box it could come up though, maybe iron, or closed in and tiled..... not esthetic
C) build some sort of structural brackets at one and two feet that would act like guide wires.again not esthetic
D) have them chunk out the tile around the pipe, and the concrete board...enough to to get the support piece onto wood..... risks cracking tile and still only on wood surface.
Any of you have any more suggestions?IMG_6380.jpg
that is the hole the water source pipes will come up and the three screw flange willl go above that.
IMG_6379.jpg

If you can get underneath the floor you could put some extra wood blocking and use long lag screws.

Who makes the faucet, name and model number ?

I found the faucet. Jacuzzi brand, good enough.

Jacuzzi says minimum hole in the floor is 2 1/4” and max is 2 9/16”. 1/4” screws.

Looks like there’s a pipe directly below the hole in the floor.

That wouldn’t last 10 minutes with my kids, but they can break anything. 🤣

Its a Jacuzzi NW50827. About $600 so thought mid range. We hated to go too high end because I don't expect it will get a huge amount of use anyhow but if I could do it again would have looked more closely at the base attachment or even do a wall faucet.
We have talked to tile man and project manager so at least they know it could be issue. Will see what plumber says. I wish I knew then what I knew now..... would have done design differently. Live and learn. The bathroom does look really really nice.
Luckily its a master bath and so we know to be careful. If it becomes a problem there are a couple options that whole not to esthetic would stiffen up the faucet........ which is a better option than a catastrophic leak.
I do like he idea of a wood block but not sure if that is doable now that floor is on. Hindsight. Maybe we can get some longer bolds though instead of screws......... and my super handy husband could probably make a steel plate that a could reinforce the bottom. Not options I like to consider....... why we hired professionals but in the big picture ...... small potatoes.
Thanks again

What do the specs of the faucet say. Most people need the cut sheets for all the hardware so they know to install backing where needed.
Just 1/4” screws into the floor. That’s all it says. How did they rough in ? 🙁

Back