Framing Tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The last tub was steel and not attached to the back (60") wall. There was no wood on that wall below the tub. Instead, there were 1/2' thick strips of wood glued to the cinder blocks that green board drywall was nailed into. Do I need to change that to 2 x 4s to properly attach the tub and surround? (Sterling Vikrell Ensemble). Do they need to be perpendicular to the wall (2" out from wall" or can they be lengthwise (1" from wall)?

Why do you need the studs on block? wall The surround attaches to the wall along the perimeter flange. You can secure a 1X4 to the block wall where the perimeter flange will sit.

But if you want to install 2 X 4 just to make it easier to install the clips to hold side of tub then install them flat so you minimize the dead space between the block wall and the surround.
I don't use the clips. I install a 2X4 horizontally on the wall under the side of the tub.
Good luck. Those thing can be a real pain if the walls are not plumb and square.

SHIMS can me added if there is a little extra room

Last edited:
Back