Forced Sewage Main Grinder Pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twowaxhack

Currently in the Lab conducting research
Professional
Reaction score
I have a sewage grinder pump that quit working. Motor failed.

I replaced the grinder pump with the same model pump and also installed a new check valve.

The pump comes on but doesn’t lower the water in basin, it just swirls the water.

I disconnect the discharge union and the pump will shoot water across the parking lot. Strong flow.

I’ve made sure the pump isn’t air locked.

What could it be ?

good to see you. What was the issue?

The system changed. More people where added onto the forced public main and that caused the head to rise and the pump couldn’t overcome it.

I had to buy a bigger pump.

This was about 10 yrs ago. 🤣✌️

I learned a $1500 lesson that day. You can’t always replace a pump with the same pump.

The system changed. More people where added onto the forced public main and that caused the head to rise and the pump couldn’t overcome it.

I had to buy a bigger pump.

This was about 10 yrs ago. 🤣✌️

I learned a $1500 lesson that day. You can’t always replace a pump with the same pump.
No, I wish some of my contractors would learn that.

No, I wish some of my contractors would learn that.
Yeah, I learned that in a system you don’t have complete control over, things can change requiring adjustments on your end.

I spent 4 hrs F’ing around with that thing before I figured it out.

To my credit though, I complained to plumbing inspector and the sewer provider now has a limit on how much head the can have on their line. Now they have pump specs you must follow and if you meet the specs and their head is too high, they have to make adjustments to lower the head pressure in their lines.

Back