Flushing Toilet clogged + spews water out of bathtub?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udt123

Reaction score
Hey all,

I was looking for a place with plumbing experts and here I am! Basically, this is the weirdest problem I have ever had. This morning, I flushed my toilet (nothing to that would clog it) and all of a sudden, water and gunk started coming out of my bathtub drain. Also, my toilet was clogged and water kept on coming out. I pumped it a few times and it very slowly drained but the water and gunk was still in my bathtub.

This toilet is in the basement and shares the same drain as the one upstairs but when I flushed the one upstairs, everything was fine. Anybody have any pointers/ideas? Thanks in advance guys!

Darwin

The toilet and tub that backed up share the same drain, there is most likely a lav in there too if this is a standard full bath. The one upstairs must tie in further down from the clog. You may, and I mean MAY, be able to clear the clog by going through the overflow in the tub with a 1/4" snake but I doubt it. So you'll most likely have to pull the toilet and snake it from there unless there is a clean out nearby.

Thanks a bunch for the reply! I think I'm going to buy one of those 30 foot snakes or whatever and try to clear it out.

Back