Flume Smart Home Water Monitor

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

Tom the Elder

Reaction score
My water provided is offering a $25 rebate for the Flume leak monitor. It is supposed to be easy to install by homeowner, no plumbing experience needed. It will send a notification to my phone if it detects a leak. The cost is $90 + $10 shipping, so total cost is $75 after the rebate.

I presume this does not actually connect to the piping and that it does not work nearly as well as those that do - which cost $500+ not including install by a plumber.

Does anyone have experience with these? Are they worthwhile or is the water company pushing them because they get a cut of the profit?

BlueSkyHigh

Reaction score
I suspect that it has a sensor that sits on the floor and senses water or moisture as the leak happens. They are about $149 on line so the $75 is probably a good deal. As a leak "detector" they probably work quite well but do nothing to stop the leak.

I have heard that some of these devices have motorized valves that are actually installed on the water supply inlet and shut down the water to the house completely if a leak is detected. If that's true I think that would be something worthwhile considering.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I purchased a sensor from Spamazon that holds (2) AA batteries, and is placed behind my washer/dryer to alert me when it detects water. It cost me >$20, but if I'm not home, I won't hear the alarm, and I will have wasted money. I also know Costco and Home Depot sells a water sensor monitor, which shuts off your water automatically, and comes with an app for your phone, but they are manually installed into your water line, and costs ~$500. I'd get one but I don't know if they work with front load washers, since they push lots of water in a short time.
I mentioned the front load washer because I purchased the washing machine hoses that shut down if it senses a burst line, but I had to reset the hoses after every use with the front loaders

Tom the Elder

Reaction score
I purchased a sensor from Spamazon ... to alert me when it detects water. It cost me >$20, but if I'm not home, I won't hear the alarm,
I bought a similar one from Ace for about $35 that also had Wifi connection to an app so my phone could alert me if a leak occurred. However, I could not get thd #%!&@% thing to connect to the app and the audible alarm was so soft that I would not have heard it unless I was in the same room - in which case I could see the leak. This Flume device sounds good but I was hoping to hear from someone who had already used it. Looks like I might be the first on this forum.