Flow and pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james_1

Reaction score
Hi, I have a new sprinkler system for my house to install (in Lake Tahoe area). I have 5GPM and 58PSI at the end of a 1/2" bib about 30' from the supply line into the house. Not a lot of flow, so an issue with zones. The HOA will only allow us to water for a few hours a night, a few days a week, so a bit limited. I think we have a 3/4" supply from the street, would think it was 1" but cant find a 1" line if that exists. Haven't measured flow and pressure yet at the 3/4" line. I am aware that my HOA has poor flow rate, so was wondering if adding a pump would help? Would a pump suck more flow through the line from the street? I suppose it would a little by reducing inbound pressure, but would it do more than just a little? No idea the size of the line at the street, but I think that my supply line to the street is probably about 40'. Thanks!

A booster pump would work, assuming the pump would make pressure higher than your incoming. Perhaps 2 pumps in parallel, and a tank.

You need professional help.
Booster pump is what we do in cases of poor supply pressure.
Big investment and you have to protect from freezing, even in the event of a power outage. Not likely.
1687414528118.png

I know many will tee off right after the meter with either a 3/4 or 1" pipe, specifically for watering the yard. Yeah it is a bit pricey, but it will end your issues. You just need to decide to water longer, in violation of your HOA, or spend bucks running a higher pressure line.

Or do what I do.... buy a smart sprinkler controller that will water several times during the day, but never longer than a few minutes. Check out Rachio controllers. They are set up very easy, and you can use a smart phone to water whenever you want.

Back