Flotec Pressure Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norby

Reaction score
Hi,
I need a new pressure tank,my old one lasted 24 yrs. Is Flotec a good brand to buy,I'm looking at the, Flotec 50 Gal. Pre-Charged Pressure Tank. The only tanks they have in my area are Flotec & Utilitech. Which is better,some people say Flotec do not last,is this true.

Which is better,some people say Flotec do not last,is this true.

It's very true. There are a lot of bladder tanks on the market and Flotec and Utilitech are probably the worst two out there.

You can buy quality here: http://www.pumpsandtanks.com

There probably are stores near you that sell quality, but they sell only to professionals at wholesale pricing.

Hi,
Thank your for your advice on pressure tank SpeedBump. I might not have a problem,here me out. My pressure tank is 24 yrs old and is a galvanized Myers tank. The well pump line goes in on the bottom left and a pipe on the bottom right going out to the house,pressure switch and gauge in about 3/4's up from the bottom of tank. I forgot all about that the float ( Merril Float no bladder ) in the tank might be water logged. I turn off the pump shut the value going to the water softner and drain the tank. Also add air a couple of times to make sure all the water is out of the tank and below the float. Started the system back up,the pressure is up to 50 lbs. Now here is my question my wife turned on the shower and it took 1 min and 40 seconds to go from 50 lbs to 30 lbs pressure then the pump kick on and went back up to 50 lbs. Does this sound good,is my tank still running good and is the time about right for going from 50 to 30 lbs..

Also I have a 30 to 50 pressure switch can I replace it with a 40 to 60. The tank is a 42 gallon and rated to 75 lbs PSI.

Since you have a standard tank and not a bladder tank, you might not want to buy a bladder tank. If you have a check valve in front of the tank with a schrader valve, you have a system that automatically adds air to your tank. This is a great system until it gets plugged up. It sounds like yours may have done just that. The float is to let excess air out. You may have to pull the pump up a ways and clean the device that allows the water to drain from the droppipe in the well.

When you drain the tank, drain it to the bottom. Then turn the pump back on. The longer it takes to fill up and empty to turn on the pump again, the better.

Back