Floor Sinks

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbeFroman

Reaction score
Hi all I just wanted to get your opinions on floor sinks. I pretty much know the basics of what they are and what they are used for. What I want to know is how difficult they are to install?

If anyone has been on a job site or done professional installations can you shed some insight too. Do people generally put the floor sink in before concrete is poured or do you use a spacer to then insert it after? Please explain your reason for either method. Do they get damaged or broken easily if installed before concrete while people are moving around the job site. Thanks.

They are just as easy to install as a floor drain. They are installed before concrete is poured. Proper support and leveling can be difficult after a pour. They are durable(cast iron), but the finish can be chipped by careless workers during the concrete pour, so you can use a variety of methods to protect it. Some polystyrene cut to the size of the floor sink and taped with blue painters tape can help, just keep the grates in a safe place until you are ready to place them on the sink. The concrete can be finished right up to the edge of the sink and later a razor knife can be taken across the border of the concrete and the little remnants removed. Be sure to put a plug in the drain to keep anything from falling into the trap. Depending on the manufacturer, a shielded no-hub connection is used from the pipe to sink drain, so take careful measurements to ensure that the floor sink is at the right elevation for concrete finish.

Latest posts

Back