Floor drains restaurants

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mplusmplumbing

Reaction score
I know you can’t have floor drain in walk in cooler. Can I have a floor drain in beer making room? It a small restaurant/taproom. They have to make some of their own beer If not can I add a backwater valve to pass code.
Thanks

What does your local code say????,if you pipe it in cast iron (,no-hub) I believe Charlotte makes a version of it call edge, it's rated for corrosive liquids,I don't know if beer is but it worth looking into, we just used a few hundred feet of it in a parking garage only thing you can't use it one is lab waste

What does your local code say????,if you pipe it in cast iron (,no-hub) I believe Charlotte makes a version of it call edge, it's rated for corrosive liquids,I don't know if beer is
When I was in charge of the trades at an NFL stadium, the acidity from the carbon dioxide (carbonation) in beer and soda pop
ate through the copper drain & cast iron sewer lines on a regular basis. (No PVC due to fire codes)

Another bad guy is restaurant grease that escapes the grease traps. (Animal fat + water = mild acid.)

I know you can’t have floor drain in walk in cooler. Can I have a floor drain in beer making room? It a small restaurant/taproom. They have to make some of their own beer If not can I add a backwater valve to pass code.
Thanks
If the building has a level below the cooler-
We had floor drains in walk in coolers as indirect drains with air gaps. If I remember correctly, the flood rim of the interceptor had to be 6 inches below the floor of the cooler. It had dimension requirements, too but I forgot the details. Despite being indirect, the floor drains still had to be trapped and vented as normal.

Walk in coolers had trench drain outside the door and pvc for below grade sanitary, and no hub for above grade. This was all years ago when I was in the field working at Ford Field in Detroit I am not sure what your code or the job calls for. I am drawing a large battery facility currently which has sinks that receive chems and they all tie into Industrial Waste underground and go to a different area to be treated before going into the sanitary system

This was all years ago when I was in the field working at Ford Field in Detroit
Funny coincidence- I worked in the predecessor; Pontiac Silverdome.
Even underground was cast iron. Built too early, I guess.

When I was in charge of the trades at an NFL stadium, the acidity from the carbon dioxide (carbonation) in beer and soda pop
ate through the copper drain & cast iron sewer lines on a regular basis. (No PVC due to fire codes)

Another bad guy is restaurant grease that escapes the grease traps. (Animal fat + water = mild acid.)
Until we found this edge version of no-hub cast iron, we use acid waste piping, on soda drains we even use it on a battery of urinals

Until we found this edge version of no-hub cast iron, we use acid waste piping, on soda drains we even use it on a battery of urinals
On a job sometime in the late 1970's, I remember seeing plumbers install glass DWV piping and fittings for a chemical lab that was being constructed at a university. The word "borosilicate" comes to mind. The connectors looked like narrow exhaust piping clamps.

I suppose the waste must have gotten diluted somewhere before it entered the main building drain.

Back