Flexible coupling 3" drainage pipe, exists?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starsky

Reaction score
I have a straight run (about 8 feet) of thin-walked solid-wall drainage pipe that I jammed with a shovel. I don't have enough room too fix it with PVC couplers ( meaning, I can't bend the pipe enough to perform the fix), but I could use a fernco flexible coupler. Except, the only 3" fernco coupler I can find is meant for sch 40 PVC with an outer diameter of 3.5", and this pipe is 3.25. I found a no hub coupler which fits, but, it's not rated for underground use.

Is there such a thing as a fernco coupler that fits drainage pipe? As an alternative, I found a hard coupler which fits drainage pipe to sch 40, but this stupid pipe rests on my foundation, so I'm concerned about the diameter of the couplers involved, and lifting this pipe too much when fitting these together and causing a crack elsewhere.

A slightly smaller fernco would be ideal. Do they exist for the thinner-walled drain pipe diameters?

Thanks,
Chuck

They make a bushing that will fit inside a 3"sch 40 pipe fitting (ABS) and over the triple wall solid thin wall pipe you are talking about. We use ABS here for sewer drains but if you are in an area that uses PVC then they probably have the same bushing in PVC. Check with the local plumbing supply, not the big box stores.

Or just use a styrene coupling like a bushing if you want the fernco to fit a little tighter.

Last edited:
Back