Flex Hoses Able to be Tightened or Pressed in Place?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillJohnston

Reaction score
I've got two of these faucets that were put in place by a contractor before I purchased my home. They're only a few months old, but they've both started to leak from underneath where the flex hosing meets the faucet. However, the connection is so far down that I can't really tell if the hoses are pressed in place or if they can be tightened with some sort of special wrench that I haven't been able to find.

Thanks!

f9Pbxl.jpg

Can you twist the hoses counterclockwise and unscrew them? Sometimes they are sealed by an o-ring and do not require "torque" to not leak, but need to threaded in far enough so that the o-ring engages a smooth barrel to seal.

I absolutely hate this style of hookup. Whoever designed it needs to be beaten with a piece of 3/4 galv for a few minutes.

There are no special wrenches, you may be able to get in there with a very long set of needle nose pliers.

Okay, so I've been able to unscrew them, check the o-rings, which seem fine, and put the hoses back on, making sure they're tight. Unfortunately, after a couple of days they started leaking again. Would some sort of pipe dope work to help seal them?

I like Rectorseal #5, which has sealing abilities. Just curious, how did you remove the pipes? Basin wrench?

Anything with an oil/petroleum distillate in the product used to seal/stop the leak will worsen the situation by causing the O-rings to swell and crack.

Food grade silicone (FDA approved) that is okay to come in contact with potable water is the best product for that situation.

What is your static water pressure? Without a gauge you cannot tell what it is.

Hey Dunbar,

I'm planning to get a water pressure gauge ASAP. I wasn't exactly sure why it was relevant but did some research since you asked. We have a few other symptoms of high water pressure: pipe knocks, water heater relief valve opening, and the hot water runs out quickly, in addition to the leaky faucets. I'm guessing that could be the problem.

Any chance you or anyone else can identify if there's an adjustable pressure reducing valve on my water meter? I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Otherwise, if this ends up being the problem, it may be a bit of ripping up drywall in the basement to figure out if there is one.

Thanks!
Will

FkbxHl.jpg

8K66Yl.jpg

XnksLl.jpg

Back