Flare fitting in place of standard threaded?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Furnace technician was baffled and was hesitant to take a gas pressure reading, not sure why, but eventually did and found 8.8 inH₂O at the intake valve and said it's supposed to only have 7 inH₂O. Gas company is coming out next week to check.

Did he check the wc on the outlet of the gas valve ? The burners are probably burning much richer (hotter) than normal -- To help protect the furnace heat exchanger from any damage , I would set the thermostat fan switch to the on position until the problem is solve. When the gas pressure is taken care of , you should have the furnace check thorough especially the heat exchanger.

Gas company said pressure was fine, they lock it at 9, and run at 7, piping can alter pressure, but won't ever get higher than 9. Showed me on the equipment where it has a max rating of 14. He tried lowering the pressure to lock at 7 and run at 5 to see if it helped, and the whistle was still as loud as ever. So I had him put it back to the position the gas company runs standard. Don't want things to start going out when the stove, fireplace, and furnace and going and then the water heater kicks on.

Furnace people say everything checks out. Gas company says it's the fluted line, thinks maybe it's too narrow (it's 3/4"). Back to square one, everyone says it's fine on their end but no one has ever encountered this before.

If the line was to narrow the appliance would either under fire( it would probably burn inside te burner tube or something like that) or not fire at all. Did it operate fine before with the yellow flex connecter being used or did you just buy the house? However i will say in my jurisdiction you cant use those yellow flex connectors on an appliance that isnt moveable (ie furnace and water heater) if its going to be re done do it in black iron pipe. Maybe Call a different furnace company. Just cause one guy says its fine doesn't necessarily mean it is. The gas company isn't trained on how to fix furnaces or how they operate they just know the basics (at least where I come from its that way). Did he check the manifold pressure, should be a tapping on the gas valve to check the pressure after the gas valve reduces the pressure to 3.5" w.c maybe if that's out of whack it could cause the issue. Again it's impossible to diagnose online but I'm just giving you some food for thought.

Renting, and moved in late spring, so this is the first we've heard it fire. Thanks for the advice, I'll have to let the homeowner decide I guess - the furnace people are who they have contracted. They did the install and cover warranty and scheduled maintenance.

Latest posts

Back