flammable vapor sensor woes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Reaction score
We have a Rheem hot water heater with an A.O. Smith Intell-vent controller. We've had a number of basement projects (cleaning, painting, etc) that have tripped its flammable vapor sensor, rendering us without hot water. Sometimes the reset code works, other times we need to call and get a new one sent (free of charge, at least).

Our latest basement project, painting and clear-coating the floor with Rustoleum EPOXYShield, has done the same. Forgot to turn off the water heater, vapor sensor disabled it, and we ended up having to order a new sensor.

A week later though, it happened again. Reset worked 3-4 times, as did bringing the sensor upstairs overnight, but now it seems to be done and needs to be replaced again. My fear though is, will this just happen again? The basement still smells a bit like epoxy. I'm guessing it might take a little time for the paint and clear coat to stop smelling? If we get a new sensor, will it just disable itself again?

Getting sick of cold showers. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Nick

My only advice would be to ventilate the area with fans as much as possible to help the epoxy cure. I'm actually surprised that you were allowed to have the reset codes as the manufacturers have strict policies against giving them out (for liability reasons).
An open window with drafting pulling the air out via a fan has worked for some of my previous customers who have experienced the same problem until the fumes can completely clear.
I know that non-flammable, water based products may not perform as well as desired but may be necessary in the future to avoid this problem again.
I could never recommend covering, disabling or removing a sensor. It's a safety feature that could save your life from what you can't see or smell.
Although an expensive alternative could be to install an electric hot water tank, most people will only opt for that as a last resort.

I'm sure we found the reset code online somewhere.

I understand the safety need but this thing is obviously way too sensitive. We don't have much for windows in the basement, but I'll see what I can do to get in ventilating.

Thanks.

Back