Fixing a leak through the valve (shower handle)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAustin

Reaction score
My problem has reached a new stage and my subject line no longer suits the problem. Care if I start a new conversation with a more accurate subject? the original conversation is here.

I've now managed to remove the valve; there's a picture of it below. But I wasn't able to fix the leak; in fact, the leak is worse than ever, after disassembling the valve and replacing two washers. So why is it still leaking? Probably because when I removed the valve I removed some string ("packing"?) that was packed behind the packing nut (not shown in the image; it's threaded on the outside and screws into the main valve body). I assumed it was some sort of kludge, a temporary fix that had been in use for years. It wasn't keeping the valve from leaking, but it was helping some, apparently, because now, without the thread, it's leaking worse.

So what's the proper way to fix this?

IMG_1808.JPG

Last edited:
leaking from the stem when you turn it on or from the spout and won't turn off 100%???

If the later look inside the valve where you took the stem out. There is a seat in there that the washer seats on when closed. if it's not smooth and is pitted then you need to replace the seat. If it is replaceable AND you need to know the manufacturer so you can get the correct seat . That is if they are available.

Your best bet is to just replace the whole thing.

Thanks MR. David. But actually--I should have made this clear--it only leaks through the valve when the water is on. If you turn it off all the way, the leak stops. When it's on though, and the handle is removed, it shoots out the handle in a stream.

My problem has reached a new stage and my subject line no longer suits the problem. Care if I start a new conversation with a more accurate subject? the original conversation is here.

I've now managed to remove the valve; there's a picture of it below

To clarify, That is a picture of the valve stem assembly. The valve body is inside the wall.

But I wasn't able to fix the leak; in fact, the leak is worse than ever, after disassembling the valve and replacing two washers. So why is it still leaking? Probably because when I removed the valve I removed some string ("packing"?) that was packed behind the packing nut (not shown in the image; it's threaded on the outside and screws into the main valve body). I assumed it was some sort of kludge, a temporary fix that had been in use for years. It wasn't keeping the valve from leaking, but it was helping some, apparently, because now, without the thread, it's leaking worse.

So what's the proper way to fix this?

get some string stem packing. warp it around the stem and compress it back into the stem bonnet like you found it. A little stem lube on the stem will help the stem to turn freely.

Back