Fitting for change in direction

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan2hua

Reaction score
Hi,
See the attached plumbing codes, 2006 IPC allow Wye & 1/8 Bend for Horizontal to Vertical connection and 2009NSPC doesn't allow. Does any one know if 2009 IPC has changed this ?
Thanks

2006 IPC vs 2009 NSPC --connections.jpg

Does this S trap (which is created by P trap and Wye+1/8Bend) have a problem in the real world, since it was allowed in 2006 IPC

"2009 Natioinal Standard Plumbing Code"

I can't believe that is an official code book with that incorrect spelling.

Answering question #2: It was not allowed under 2006 IPC. It was allowable to use a combination wye and 1/8th bend to connect a horizontal drain into a vertical drain, but it has never been allowable to connect a trap arm to it's vertical vent with a combination wye and 1/8th bend.

So, to answer your broader question, it is not allowable under any code that I am aware of to attach a trap arm to it's vertical vent with a combination wye and 1/8th bend. A sanitary tee is the correct fitting for that application.

Phishfood, I agree 100%, sanitaty tee only. Still that table 706.3 confuse me, how to understand that table, that table was copied from 2006 IPC.

Hi,
See the attached plumbing codes, 2006 IPC allow Wye & 1/8 Bend for Horizontal to Vertical connection and 2009NSPC doesn't allow. Does any one know if 2009 IPC has changed this ?
Thanks

Why are you comparing apples to oranges? If you want an answer to any changes in a particular code from one issue to the next then do yourself a favor and use the same code for comparison purposes. Since you had access to the '06 IPC I'm guessing you have access to the '09 IPC. If not google it, but why cause yourself unnecessary confusion.

Latest posts

Back