First post here, and unique question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmk81

Reaction score
I haven't searched this forum yet, but I have a question about odor coming from the sink drain.

We bought this house about 2 years ago. Had problems with the drains, they were extremely slow (bad design with plumbing, in my opinion), so my father and I changed the piping. Pipes now flow just fine.

There are 2 sinks, with the sink on the left being the one that is nearest to the output to the main 'line'. The sink on the right has a pipe that goes to the left sink side, to be discharged out.

The problem is, whenever I run the water on the left side of the sink, and the water goes down the drain, we get a strong egg smell. This doesn't happen with the right side sink. I've removed the stopper completely, and it still happens, and seems even worse. Both sinks do have P traps. The left side sink is hardly used anymore because we can't stand the smell, so we use primarily use the right hand sink. I highly doubt the left sink has a stoppage. The water drains extremely fast in the left sink. Any ideas what might be happening?

If the sink on the left has an overflow, there may be some mildew and scum building up inside it. The overflow is the hole in the basin the allows water to flow to the drain if the sink is filled up too high.
If this is the case, pour your preferred cleaner for removing mildew down the overflow, rinse and repeat. I like to use a 1 part bleach to 15 parts water mix. Rinse the overflow thoroughly and check to see if it took care of the odor.

I agree. My sink occasionally will do that and I fill the basin, add some bleach/clorine and let the water trickle from the faucet so it spills in to the over flow for a few minutes or so. seems to help.

Bleach usually does the trick. If it doesn't, than u have a more serious problem.

Back