Filter on my sand point Well

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ton

Reaction score
Good day to you all. I got little sand entering home

I installed a bypass before my tank and after its idle for a month or two I will run the pump direct from the well. It has helped clear out some of the fine sands found in the hot water tank and toilet bowl. I get some debris caught in the faucet end therefore thinking of buying a Rusco sediment trapper to be installed after the tank to trap sand and crap that may come up from the well. Or should I forget and just install a Britta Fawcett filter or a under the sink filter. Do these spin down filters work or are they trouble . Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
The best method I have found for trapping fine sand is to fill a water softener tank 1/3rd full of silica sand using a distributor tube and an in/out head. You can even build your own backwash valve out of ball valves to backwash the sand out if needed. I have built many of these for people over the years including myself with one problem well I had. They get all the sand and don't need new cartridges every couple of weeks or any maintenance. They just work!

The reason they work is because of their size. The water moves very slowly through a 9" X 48" or larger tank and the sand just settles into the silica sand and doesn't get through. Unlike these in line filters that were first designed to be a one faucet filter not a "whole house filter".

Thanks for the reply. I am going to pass on a filter. More fittings more maintenance etc. I'm going to do as you suggest more often...bypass the plumbing and run that pump for a couple hours upon arrival to the camp. May get a cheapie for the fawcett tap. Thanks again

Back