Filling in missing tile

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a total of eight inch-square tiles missing in a corner of my shower. What can I use to fill that space while I scour and prep the shower floor for tiling over?

What is the medium under the missing tile? I'm guessing thinset? If so, chisel out any loose thinset, and then float more thinset to make the space level. Grout will not bond properly to thinset.

Does this look like it was thinset? I don't see any traces of the float ridges but maybe this is what happens when you press your tile into the thinset. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 04690212-E53F-4A5B-A266-9DC8E2454BD9.jpeg
    04690212-E53F-4A5B-A266-9DC8E2454BD9.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
No, that looks like some cementous product. Since you have such a small area, and if that medium is stable and not crumbling at all, I'd recommend getting a quart of the ready to use thinset in the plastic tub. Remove any and all loose grout, apply the thinset then install some type of replacement tile to build it back up. Once it is dry, you can go over the entire job with a good bonding, polymer thinset. I like the Mapei thinset sold at Lowes.

Latest posts

Back