Fill valve too high in toilet tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brees6221

Reaction score
I did a quick search and didn't see another post for this issue, but feel free to direct me to another post if this has already been covered (new guy, here).

My tank overflowed yesterday and while troubleshooting I noticed the water continued filling after the float cup raised so I assumed it wasn't raising all the way to trigger the water to shut off. Today I bought a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve and installed it - easy enough and not the first time I've done this.

Step 5 says "When installed, the CRITICAL LEVEL MARK on the FILL VALVE should be at least 1" above the top of the OVERFLOW PIPE. This is a plumbing code." I raised the valve to the 13" mark and the C.L. mark is probably 3/4-1" above the top of the overflow pipe. I finished the installation, turned the water on and everything works fine but now the tank lid won't go on all the way because of the fill valve heighth.

If I had bought the complete kit with all of the tank contents (including overflow pipe, flapper, etc), any chance the overflow pipe would be shorter? Can I cut the existing overflow pipe about an inch shorter?

How important is it for the C.L. mark to be 1" above the top of the overflow pipe? Could I get away with them being at an even heighth?

This is our main-level powder room that guests use, and we have young children; two reasons I want the lid to go on all the way. Thanks for your help and advice!

It sounds like someone replaced the flush valve without cutting the overflow tube. There should be a water level mark in the tank. The overflow tube should be 1/2" above that. Then set the fill valve to fill to the water level line in the tank.

John

Back