feedback needed on new plumbing to utility sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worldzfree

Reaction score
hello,

i am starting to run new copper into my garage from the floor above to a utility sink. i have attached a couple of crudely drawn pictures of what i think i want to do but appreciate any feedback.

the sink as it is a commercial stainless steel wall mount sink with a commercial faucet on it. i want to move the faucet off of the sink higher up to accommodate the bigger pots i will have in this sink (i brew beer).

the proposed idea is to plumb in the lines to two dual-stop shutoff valves up the wall. from there i would have one set of lines going to the faucet that i have wall mounted and the other set of lines going to two hose bib valves (one on either side of the sink) for other needs.

i am running 1/2" copper but am unsure what specific valves and what need i would need and whether or not someone may have a better idea. thanks in advance.

-andrew

before.jpg

after.jpg

front of faucet.jpg

back of faucet.jpg

Last edited:
The only common dual shutoff valves that I am aware of go from 1/2" copper line inlet to two 3/8" compression outlets. This would work for your faucet, but would lessen the volume to the hosebibs by a considerable amount. While I imagine that someone somewhere makes a dual outlet shutoff valve with larger outlets, that is not a common valve, would likely be hard to find, and probably expensive as well.

The way I would go is to install T's on the 1/2" copper lines, then add a valve onto both lines coming off of the T's. From there, just pipe to the fixtures.

However, that is a high flow faucet, meant to be fed with 1/2" supplies. If you look at the back of the faucet in your picture, the supply pipe size has been reduced from 1/2" to 3/8". You could redo that, and that faucet would put out SERIOUS amounts of water.

As Phish said, you have 1/2" copper lines. The sky is the limit on what configuration works best for you. A few T's and a few elbows, and a bit of soldering, that's it! Don't reduce if at all possible.

BTW, I'd give my left leg for a S/S utility sink like the one in the picture. Nice!

You could always put straight shutoffs in before you T the line, it would be much easier and cheaper.

All,

Thanks for ideas. I think I will do the T's with valves. Psycho99, forgive my ignorance but what and where in the line should I setup the backflow protection?

-a

The simplest and most effective backflow protection method is to never ever let the spout get submerged in any type of liquid. The 2 most likely ways for that to happen in your situation that come to mind is for you to fill a vessel from the faucet that is so tall that it the end of the spout is inside of the vessel. The other way is if you were to attach a hose to one of the hose bib valves, and the end of the hose were to be left in a bucket or a puddle or the like.

I think that you have addressed the first issue by moving the faucet to an elevated wall mount position. Hose bib vacuum breakers are the normal method for protecting the hose bibs.

Phisfood, thanks for the backflow advice. Parts on the list. I am buying the pieces this week and hope to get it all run this weekend.

I have one last question. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to best mount that faucet I am moving from the sink to the concrete slab above the sink? I suppose I could make something out of wood but wasn't sure if there may be a more graceful method.

I would probably use small blocks on either side of the attachment points to make it stand out enough from the wall. Not exactly elegant, but it works.

It sounds like you are setting up a pretty clean operation. Although wooden blocks would work, I would go for a cleaner look. There are many sheet metal and stainless steel fabricators who could build a nice looking wall mounted box with the necessary holes punched out for the faucet. They would also be the place to go to in order to find the S/S caps to plug the existing holes in your sink that you will not be using. You may also consider continuing the S/S look with a backsplash made out of the same substance.

Back