Faulty ABS pipe

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cece

Reaction score
I have a plumbing issue and have no idea where to start. Feeling really overwhelmed and could use any advice.
We bought our house a year and a half ago and during that time have had at least 4 different issues with cracked ABS piping in our crawl space. We will start to notice a funky smell, go down to the crawl space and end up seeing another broken pipe.
In reading up on it, I can see that there was an issue with faulty ABS piping in the '80's that resulted in numerous class action lawsuits back in '98. The years for the faulty pipe indicated in the lawsuit were from piping starting in 1984, but our house was built 1983. Even so, the pipes are breaking circumferentially right near joints, which is exactly as described in these faulty ABS pipes.
So, my question is, do we have to replace all of the piping under the house? The pipes are POLARIS brand. Does anyone know if they are still in business?
I just don't even know where to start. Also, we had the pipes repaired, but they used glue on them, which is what seems to have made them crack in the first place according to what I read. Am I going to have to replace the fittings we already replaced? How long will it be before they start cracking again?
I posted one of the several breaks we have found...
Thank you for listening!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_135636.jpg
    IMG_20200525_135636.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
You have bad pipe, no question.
There was a major issue with a few mfrs. who, inadvertently bought non virgin ingredients for their resin mix.
You are the victim (me too). Centaur was also a name brand with this issue.
.Bottom line: Yes, you need to completely replace any ABS that is of that mfr.
You cannot re-use the pipes because the same thing will happen again.
Modern ABS is perfectly fine. Can't reuse glues fittings without being more work than it is worth. (To reuse fittings, each socket has to have any pipe power ground away.
The plumber who did your repairs was at fault for reusing the KNOWN defective pipes. It is not a fitting issue. The plumber is at fault now.

PVC pipe is used in our area . Is it legal where you live ?

Best of lick to you . :)

Back