faucet removal, need help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daaw

Reaction score
I am trying to remove this faucet to replace the cartridge. There is not a set screw and the cone shaped body unscrews with the handle staying stationary, revealing the cartridge. (I've already sacrificed one faucet by using a pipe wrench with no padding rendering the faucet useless) I have tried strap wrenches, non marring pliers, pipe wrench with a rag over jaws, etc. and nothing will grab the body because the shape and chrome finish. Anyone have any ideas? TIAIMG_5792.JPG

Agreed, these nicely shaped bodies are very hard sometimes to unscrew.
If your hands are not strong enough, then Channel locks, unfortunately is the next step.
Lifetime warranty may allow you to get it replaced.

Thanks for the advise. I think I have decent hand strength but it ain't budging.

Rubber jar opener pad grips well.

Sometimes you can loosen the entire valve assembly and that will free it up. If it’s really tight to the sink it can bind the escutcheon and make it very difficult to remove.

Wouldn't the OP be able to use a basin wrench and loosen the nut under the counter in order to relieve pressure on the escutcheon?

Will try to use a jar opener this weekend. If that doesn't work I will try loosening the nut under the sink. Any other ideas?

Channel lock pliers at the bottom, using cloth to protect counter, then new trim

I know you tried it but I use the large strap wrench from Harbor Freight and I am always able to get them off. Squirt some
penetrating oil between the handle and escusion and hopefully it will get to the threads.

You can easily hit the report tab and ask for it to be deleted. You can also edit a post to say "please delete", and I'll remove it.

We hate to have the settings so tight in here, but it is a way to stop spammers from changing their initial post and start adding gibberish to it.

Drama continues. I removed the faucet and had to sacrifice the chrome housing but I have a replacement. NOW the cartridge retaining nut won't budge. I have tried a socket but can't keep the valve body from spinning. I tried removing the nut from the new faucet I found on ebay and it won't budge either. (i want to use the old faucet as the new one has different quick connects)

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 1
I'd recommend spraying some PBBlaster, let it sit overnight, then using the proper 6 point socket. And from a close up of your pic, it looks like normal thread, so take it off in a counter clockwise motion.

1664120750656.png

An extra set of hands and penetrating oil helped me get it removed. Thanks to all that have responded, I think I have it. Last question (I hope). Are there any issues with me applying anti-seize compound where the chrome piece screws on to the faucet. Hoping it will help in removal at a later date.

An extra set of hands and penetrating oil helped me get it removed. Thanks to all that have responded, I think I have it. Last question (I hope). Are there any issues with me applying anti-seize compound where the chrome piece screws on to the faucet. Hoping it will help in removal at a later date.
Use silicone grease.

Latest posts

Back