EZ way to clear slow running bathroom sink drains without a wire snake.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5shot

Reaction score
I'm a newbee, but that's never stopped me from posting stuff in forums. :) :)

Hope this works for some.

Below is a pic of a no-mess device to clear slow running bath-sink drains. It goes down below the overflow cutout in the drain, so that the push is put where it will do some good.

Made it out of a bulb from an old turkey baster and a piece of plastic pipe with a few wraps of duct tape to better seal it in the drain pipe.

Used it on 3 drains. It works.

uncloger.jpg

For a shower drain trap with no cutout, I found that a plastic bottle about the size of the drain opening, works slick. No need to use a plunger, just push the bottle down and the clog is gone. Of course, don't jam it down as that could mess up the trap joint fasteners.

So the theory behind this is what? water On to back up from the clog, and then force air/water through the pipes to push out clog? Sounds reasonable...

This seems like a good idea for a case where there is one thing clogging the drain you need to clear. If it is a clog of material and sediment built up over time, wouldn't it be easier to take off the trap and completely clear it. But, if it works, it works.

Seems like a good device. Have you thought about selling it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some drains have tub stoppers pre-installed. On those, first pop up the stopper and twist to unscrew, then just remove the plate with the trip for the stopper and carefully remove the stopper assembly. This would be a good time to try the "bent hanger" method because this usually has hair and any other articles which have been stuck to the stopper. Replace the stopper the same way.

I'll give you my opinion.......this thread must be a joke. If you can clear a clog using that little bulb, save yourself $2.00 worth of material and just use the palm of your hand.

If we are deeming this thread non-serious... then I don't feel bad about derailing it... :)

Last week I pulled a wad of hair out of my shower drain that was about the size of a softball... It smelled like perm solution at the salon... I almost lost my lunch right there in the shower...

Yeah, having had two teenage girls with long hair, I bought one of those one way barbed plastic doohickys, and the amount of hair I can get out is unbelievable. I just don't take the time to smell it!

I cannot see the bulb being big enough to do anything. If you are using a plastic bottle to seal the drain, why not just put the whole bottle in the drain and squeeze that?

Back