EZ Flo Pump SystemField "free Flowing/Flooding 3 yrs old.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVG3

Reaction score
1st Off I am a HVAC contractor, I know how to heat & cool homes and move air. When it comes to poo water I am a idiot. Here is the deal. I have a 3 year old home. Has a pump system, and has 3 lines coming from the D box. The 3 lines are parallel with the back of my home and the line nearest my home (8' off the back of my foundation) and runs under a deck (12'worth) is free flowing near the end. Summer its fine/dry for the most part, But I understand it is supposed to work with up to 2" of rainfall in 24hr period? We had 1.5" and then a a few showers every 2 days (North Carolina winters). Has been "flowing" for 90 days now. I shut off the pump for 2 days and pump at 12-1am after the neighbors go to sleep. They called the county on me when it started this year. When pump is off, it flows (I call this freeflowing) almost like a french drain and that part flowing is the lowest point. Land around this area has standing water in the ditches/fields from the steady rain. If I add another section of EZFLO pipe to the end will this help? Is this line loading up with water because its too close to my home (8' off foundation)? Can I add a French Drain just down from the septic field to try and take the excess groundwater away from the field? If so how far off the line should I be (I heard at least 10')? Ground around here is thick Topsoil/sand mix on top 6" then red clay fyi. Also thought of digging a hole at the end of the line very deep and adding gravel, cover up with topsoil and giving the grey water somewhere to go besides up and out. (Probably a bad idea, I know). :rolleyes: This has been going on for the past 2 fall/winter/springs.. We called the installer and he came back and measured the depth with a rod and it was good. Dug up D box and it was level. Farthest 2 lines do not leach. We have been doing navy showers, eating off paper plates/cups 3 months, very limited clothes washing (sunny days/semi dry flow). County came out and asked us about it and I told them its the rain.. They said they have several others doing the same thing, told me to Pump out. (Did that in January,, No help) Installer set the pump float to the shortest run length he could. No help. Now, Im putting 5 gallon buckets of dirt on the little "Jed Clampett Bubbling Crude flow holes"! Installer gave up and said its to code.. (I know how that goes.. I dont really blame him, he did it to county code) he said its the excess rain, and maybe it is. IDK! HA....... Im getting ready to walk from this home.

Last edited:
Today I dug up the D box... It had 4" of clear (ground?) water in it, below that was 2-3" of grey water. I have not run the pump for 48hrs. I used a drop of food dye and found a slight fresh water flow from the farthest 2 lines (3"pvc) INTO the D box, and flowing out to the line nearest my home. So I put a cap on that line with a 1" hole drilled at the top most point of the cap. I suspect this will act like a flow control? Within 3 hours the free flowing standing water has started to subside... Maybe this will help. I do need to pump tonight, but I figure it will flow with a good amount of water waiting. I put out lime to mask the funk! HA. :eek: Also redirected all rain gutters away from the field. Hope this helps if anyone has a similar issue. I will check back in a few days (Rain coming in) and update.
**(Update, same night as I wrote above)** I pumped last night at 1am. NOAH could have floated the Ark in my yard!! NICE. Back-flowed out of the d-box. (i suspect because I dug it up and weakened the dirt, plus full of clear groundwater)..
Question.......... WILL DIGGING A HOLE WITH GRAVEL AT THE END OF THE LINES HELP THIS ISSUE?
or, WILL A FRENCH DRAIN AROUND THE SYSTEM HELP GET RID OF SATURATED RAIN/GROUND WATER WITHOUT LEACHING SEPTIC WATER INTO IT?
Reason I ask is like I have said, The installer has given up... I have called 2 other people and they want no part of this repair. A 3rd man never called back, and a 4th man never showed up to even look at it so I am out of options in my area (No one else around who does this).
I may add Septic service to my HVAC service business! HAHA.

Last edited:
Can you post a drawing of your system?
In MD you can not put a drainfield 8ft. from the house or under a deck.
I would sue the installer a system should not fail within 3 years of installation.
Yes you need to get the groundwater away from the field, but usually if you are pumping you pump to the high elevation of the property.
If no installer can help you get the health Dept. involved. They should be able to help you get your problem solved.

Our county inspection dept Ok'd the deck above the line..:mad: Installer installed to county install specs. (They have to get the OK for the layout from the inspection dept before install, Land was Supposed to have been checked/tested by a county soil scientist before home was built). My wife and I feel we have gotten the shaft on this home. FYI.. We have seen the alarm lights on other homes in the subdivision, and when we walk the hood we can catch septic smells from other homes.. So i don't think its just isolated to my home. Last water bill shows 6,100 gal/mo. 4 people. FYI. I have attached a quick drawing of layout of home.

SEPTIC.jpg

I'm trying to learn about my own septic issues by learning about others. Do you have any pics of the line you capped off, was it the one closest to the house? Or one of the other two flowing back into the D box?

For some temporary help I would cap the lower drainfield line in the D-box.
Looks like when they put the deck in they broke the pipe & you are getting groundwater entering there.
To fix the problem you will probably need to do one of these :
1) Time dose the discharge
2) Sandmound
3) Drip system
I would get the Health Dept & a local elected official involved & tell them this system was installed per county requirements & it is 3 years old and failing. Explain to them that you cannot live this way, that they need to come up with a solution & they should assume some financial responsibility for the repairs. Most states have funds for septic repairs for certain situations. You may not get any financial help, but if you don't ask you definitely will not.

I'm trying to learn about my own septic issues by learning about others. Do you have any pics of the line you capped off, was it the one closest to the house? Or one of the other two flowing back into the D box?

I capped the one closest to my home (I did put a 1" hole at the top of the cap/plug so it only gets water at full flow.

Yesterday I rented a 17D John Deer excavator with a 12" bucket and installed a "Skirt drain?"/Deep french drain around the septic field about 30-34" deep. (Pain in the azz, but seems to be working). Ran the pipe to the ditch and since last night it is flowing at 220 gallons/24hrs of clear groundwater. BUT today it is supposed to rain about 1-1.5" Soo I will see how it goes. (D-Box went down to regular levels about 4 hrs after pipe installed) I hope within 2 weeks the water table will have leveled out.

Last edited:
Well its been almost 30 days and Spring is here, So is the rain.. French drain helped some but still got "Blow out" during hard to medium rains. I installed a repeat timer (during call for pump it waits 2hrs and pumps 30sec/every 2hrs) I have found this to be the sweet spot from blowouts and keeping it down from the high limit alarm. I really think my land is bad and needs a bigger or second field. My next home I will install a over sized leach field.

Latest posts

Back