expansion tank question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlamb1158

Reaction score
The expansion tank on my boiler has rusted and sprung a leak at the top of it. I have ordered a replacement but in the mean time can I just block of the place where the tank was with a 1/2" screw in plug or will that do damage to the system. My only alternative is shutting the water off completely since there is no ball valve between the tank and the rest of the system.

Don't plug the taping for the tank. Turn the boiler off until the tank is replaced. If you try to run the boiler with no expansion tank the pressure will rise to a very dangerous level that can cause serious damage to the boiler, and cause a hazardous condition.
Are you aware that there is a valve that can be turned off that feeds the boiler with out affecting your domestic water in the house?

John

Yes, the water to the boiler is already shut off. Just not looking forward to cold showers. Thanks for the heads up.

^^listen to this man... and when you put the new tank in, put a valve there so that in future you can isolate the tank from the system should it require replacement, many people dont put isolation valves in for the very reasons that John has stated above.

Would it be possible to clean up the rust and either weld or jb weld the tank to hold over until the new one arrives or is there something in the tank that the intense heat might destroy?

Stay with either Well X Trol or Flexcon (under several names). Big box store tanks are junk. You don't want them on a boiler.

Back