Expansion Tank - Pipe Hammer

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WereOutThere

Reaction score
I just installed a new 5 Gal expansion tank while I was going some general repairs. Or house has copper water distribution lines, and I was replacing an old solder joint that appears to have had a very old slow pinhole leak by the look of the calcium water deposits at the joint.

We've now got some pipe hammer in a distribution line going to an existing bathroom? We've lived in our house 5 Yrs, and prior to the installation of this new expansion tank we had never heard any pipe hammer.

I installed the expansion tank as shipped for delivery, with whatever pressure was established by the manufacturer (I made no adjustments to the pressure in the tank).

Would the new pipe hammer suggest that the pressure in the expansion tank as shipped is low or high?

Any ideas???

I just installed a new 5 Gal expansion tank while I was going some general repairs. Or house has copper water distribution lines, and I was replacing an old solder joint that appears to have had a very old slow pinhole leak by the look of the calcium water deposits at the joint.

We've now got some pipe hammer in a distribution line going to an existing bathroom? We've lived in our house 5 Yrs, and prior to the installation of this new expansion tank we had never heard any pipe hammer.

I installed the expansion tank as shipped for delivery, with whatever pressure was established by the manufacturer (I made no adjustments to the pressure in the tank).

Would the new pipe hammer suggest that the pressure in the expansion tank as shipped is low or high?

Any ideas???

Shipping pressure (to prevent internal damage) is regulated so as not to explode on a delivery truck. You must match the air pressure to equal the house pressure @ install.

Latest posts

Back