Exhaust for Hot Water heater near a condenser

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccd0585

Reaction score
Hello we have a split central AC with the condenser outside and air handler/furnace in a basement. We placed a navien water heater 199k BTU next to the outside condenser. The inspector failed it saying the exhaust air has the chance of being sucked in and being recirculated through the house. From my understanding that is not how a condenser works. Has anyone ran into this problem at all. The installation manual for the Hot water heater mentions it being 3ft above if within 10ft horizontal from a mechanical air supply inlet. I do not believe the condenser is considered a mechanical air supply inlet. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 9DA186BA-AAD7-4F5B-AC2D-98A91B359DCA.jpeg
    9DA186BA-AAD7-4F5B-AC2D-98A91B359DCA.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 15
Yeah I thought that at fist and I went through the installation manual with him. Manual says it only needs to be 12 inches away from an operable window

Yeah I thought that at fist and I went through the installation manual with him. Manual says it only needs to be 12 inches away from an operable window
Could you provide a link or a model number ?

Yeah from what I’ve been reading it depends on direct vs indirect venting. Indirect does say something about 4ft below or to the side or 12 inch above. Direct just calls for 12 inch

Manufacture may say 12” but the AHJ has final say (probably based on NFPA 30 codes)
There are ways around the AHJ, or at least a way to transfer their power.

You realize that a lot of inspectors are failed contractors ? So you’re usually not dealing with the best of the best, not even close.

I work for most of our city council along with the Mayor and most of the lawyers and judges in town.

In other words “ the real AHJ “. 🤣

Back