Ever Seen A Drain Like This?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanweather

Reaction score
There is a pvc pipe on the basement floor that has two lines running into it. One line drains condensation from furnace, the other an attached humidifier. Any idea if this drains into the sewer? I can't imagine this is code. Is there a trap on this? I'm installing a water softener and need to run the line from that to a drain, and this is my only option... think I'll be okay (I know it's probably not up to code)?

20180328_140724.jpg

is there a vent around there????? you could make a stand pipe out of that
the branch that's angled at a 45 could be a clean out the other you could
ad a ty a trap and stand pipe connecting the top of the ty to a vent

yes it must be vented to the plumbing system
is there a slop sink near????

laundry????near

Last edited:
No vent but there is a chimney about 3 feet away the furnace blows into. Do I need a vent? Vie never smelled any gas of any kind in the area...

If you are not smelling any sewer smell at all out of that wye, then it is either in a p-trap or not tied into the sewer line.

It could just go into the dirt or weeping tile for condensate drains or a radon gas port. A small camera inspection will tell you 100% what it is.

Shine a light down it or drop a penny in it. If you see or hear water then more than likely it is trapped.

I'll try the penny. When we moved in about 10 years ago, we ended up with water all over the basement and it was from water coming up through this pipe. Called a plumber and he snaked the main and said there must have been tissues or roots about halfway between street and house from the house sitting empty before we bought it. So I've always assumed it was connected to the main sewer l, since when the sewer line was clogged, water would come out of this pipe...

Could it be just clogged? Do you think I should rent a sewer snake from the tool shop?

I ran a 25' snake down the pipe, thinking now the water may just be resting in a trap?

If you can see water at the bottom and it also drains water when you add it then it is trapped.

If you can see water at the bottom and it also drains water when you add it then it is trapped.
That seems to be the case. I dumped a few gallons of water down the pipe and the water level remained unchanged throughout the process. Eventually, however, the water did drain out but it took about 15 minutes.

Back