ET system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevestk

Reaction score
I just got an inspection for a house I'm purchasing. The inspector described the system as follows. Two septic tanks. Solids should settle in first with liquids flowing to second. From the second it goes through a filter bed. From filter bed it goes to a sump where it is pumped through pipes close to the surface where it evaporates. I've since learned this is called an ET system. Had visual access only to cover on first tank and the sump. could not see into second tank or see tank baffles. He flushed dye in toilet which was seen in first tank. He ran water for 35 minutes (~220 gallons) and no water ever showed up in sump. Water level didn't rise in first tank so it was going somewhere. Inspector said it could be staying in second tank if it wasn't full enough to overflow. I should mention no one has been in the house for the past week and it's an older couple. He also said the cover to the second tank was probably a foot or so underground and gave an estimate of where it should be. He said ideally you want to be able to verify solids aren't moving to second tank and filter bed. Also the last recorded pump out was 2012 and for 1000 gallons which indicated probably only the first tank was pumped. Expectation if that's true would be the tanks would be pretty full?

Looked to me like the first tank was pretty full but I've never looked in one before.

Questions:
Explanation for water not getting to sump during test?
Does this type of system work effectively (I'm in Ohio, what about winter)?
Is the ground always wet?
How deep are the pipes?
Kids can play in that part of the yard?

I'm thinking of asking the seller to verify system including locating and uncovering access ports, possibly a pump out, and further validating the system is working.
Thoughts?

I'm not familiar with the system the way it was described to you. We do have berm systems here that use two tanks and an above ground leach field. Solids and liquid go into the first tank. Liquid goes into the second tank where it is pumped into the leach field. The tanks are always full, they don't empty. Solids are eaten up by bacteria and liquids are recycled by nature.

If this system was professionally installed, the kids should be fine playing in that area.

IMO... :rolleyes:

It is best to have a !!! CERTIFIED SEPTIC COMPANY !!! perform an inspection after pumping. I believe that it is mandatory in most areas and a certificate to the fact issued.

A home inspector most likely does not have the knowledge/experience to understand all systems. Once you sign the papers, it is all yours... :(

Latest posts

Back