EMERGENCY! Stuck hanger!!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbic

Reaction score
I've had a stubborn clog for a while and used google to find some ideas on how to fix it (not a smart idea..) Well someone said to take off the over flow cover and stick a hanger with a small hook on the end down the hole and try to pull out what might be causing the clog.. so I took the cover off and when I tried to pull the hanger back up.. IT WAS STUCK! It's hooked onto something about three or four inches down and I can't get to it! Help please :(

I have tried pulling it from every angle and pushing it back in and trying to pull it out again, it's too narrow of a space, i cant unhook it!

Form the end of the hangar into a triangle and try to manipulate it a little better by twisting. If you can get it to unhook that would be your best option.

Sounds like a root.

I tried to manipulate it but its really hooked onto something and I don't know how to get it unhooked!!

What type of overflow hole is this? Sounds like a tub. Did you have a lever on the overflow, but it wasn't connected to anything? If so, you may have caught the broken/rotted linkage that has the plug weight on the end of it. This would also explain the stubborn clog for a long time. If you are caught on the old linkage, you may start by pulling firmly, straight up and maybe pull out the stopper from inside. Be careful not to throw yourself backwards if you lose your grip or if it comes loose.
Also, if your situation fits the above description, you could try spraying some PB blaster down the overflow and letting it sit for about 30 minutes before trying to pull it out. The anti-seize may loosen the corrosion from the stopper.
let us know.

I'm sorry for some reason I read "Over flow" as clean out, not sure why. Probably not a root.

Austin, I have pulled roots out of 2nd floor toilet flanges and tub drains of old slab houses. It really happens!:eek:

What type of overflow hole is this? Sounds like a tub. Did you have a lever on the overflow, but it wasn't connected to anything? If so, you may have caught the broken/rotted linkage that has the plug weight on the end of it. This would also explain the stubborn clog for a long time. If you are caught on the old linkage, you may start by pulling firmly, straight up and maybe pull out the stopper from inside. Be careful not to throw yourself backwards if you lose your grip or if it comes loose.
Also, if your situation fits the above description, you could try spraying some PB blaster down the overflow and letting it sit for about 30 minutes before trying to pull it out. The anti-seize may loosen the corrosion from the stopper.
let us know.

That sounds about right on the money.

Back