Emergency flex supply shutoff-What Do You Do?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Handy

Pro Handyman, NOT A Pro Plumber
Reaction score
Howdy plumbing pals.
This is not an emergency, I am just planning ahead!

I have never had to do this, but I am just wondering what you folks have done when you suddenly need to stop water flow through a flex supply line, and the local supply or shutoff valve won’t turn, or is defective.

Like if a fixture is gushing water, toilet overflowing, toilet cracks and collapses, faucet handle is gushing water everywhere, etc.

And the building is multi-unit and might take hours to arrange for shutoff.
Or single family but the main shutoff is failing or can’t be located, or access is blocked, for example.

I always figured I would squeeze the flex with a clamp, or quickly disconnect it then squeeze it, and put the open end into a bucket, with another ready to switch out.

Maybe I would try folding the flex hose in half, or maybe this could ruin it and now it is spraying wildly.

Any clever solutions or war stories about this?
Maybe the fix is easy and I am just not thinking hard enough?

If it was just a stop weeping by you could use a 1/2" brass nipple and cap, if it was a toilet. You would have to change it to a faucet supply and do the same thing with nipple and cap, I usually don't like taking chances like that , if your main isn't holding it's really a no brainer get it shut off in the street make the proper repairs on the main, install ball valves on the risers, so if the stops fail you can use the ball valves and the repair or replace the stops
In the car see e of total fixture failure, go to the main always know were it is and if it's operating correctly when your talking about a multi story,...... arrange for a shut down no matter howuch of a pain it is

You both totally missed the point.

I’m not talking about intentionally working on a fixture or valve with live pressure shooting out, which many of us have actually had to do, but this post is not about that at all.

Read my original loooong post, sorry for long read but the story is there.

Last edited:
For example, you live in a condo or apartment, and your toilet breaks and collapses, and water is gushing from the broken tank.
Being fed by a typical flex hose supply.
The supply valve is frozen, it’s 3:00 am.
There is no main shutoff in your unit.
Time is critical, flood damage is starting.
How do you stop the flow out of that flex hose asap?
Would you try to cap the gushing outlet on the supply stop?
Or clamp the hose, as I mentioned above?
Or something else clever or simple?
And think more like a homeowner or renter who would not have a 3/8 or 1/2 inch comp cap laying around.
If this does not make sense, forget about it.

I’d kink it off the best I could. Of course use the stop valve first.

No way try to cap it, kink it.

You decide.
Give ideas for both.
Most likely 1/2 inch copper or 1/2 inch galvanized mpt, that is what I see around my area.

I proposed that in my original post, but was wondering if there were other ideas besides that.

Hey @Jeff Handy - not sure this would work on "flex" pipe but we do a lot of Bank foreclosure work and carry a 1/2" & 3/4" version of these compression fittings with us (along with rubber boots).

Doesn't happen a lot but some (ex)home owners are not happy about leaving and cut pipes or the bust in the winter.

Stick the compression end over the open pipe, tighten, then stick a piece of capped copper in the other and tighten - knock on wood, it's worked every time

1630413014947.png

You decide.
Give ideas for both.
Most likely 1/2 inch copper or 1/2 inch galvanized mpt, that is what I see around my area.
You did jog my memory,owhen I was an apprentice we were working at a VA hospital,the guy I was working with put to much heat on a ball valve,well it blew off ,and he hammered the water line closed,not pretty but it worked

Wheeler / Rex makes a tool that will crimp off copper and flexible plastic tubing for emergency shut off. It will even round out and restore flow on soft copper to about 90% capacity. I have 2 of these puppies, would sell one

Wheeler / Rex makes a tool that will crimp off copper and flexible plastic tubing for emergency shut off. It will even round out and restore flow on soft copper to about 90% capacity. I have 2 of these puppies, would sell one
It works on soft copper, not hard drawn pipe.

Throw a Fluidmaster ballcock on the supply and keep the float held up. Done till morning.

Back