Electrical connections inside well?!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the wiring configuration in this photograph acceptable?

• Yes

• Only under certain circumstances

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ConstableDuffy

Reaction score
I just bought a house that was built in 1977. When I opened the well, I found the electrical connections in the following photograph at the top of the well. This concerns me as there is condensation at the top of the well that seems to me to be perilously close to causing electrical shorts. Is the configuration in the attached photograph acceptable? If so, how is this acceptable from an electrical perspective? If not, how should I correct it?

20210109_110220.jpg

Thanks!

Similar to my set up that's been in service since 1982. I'd say it's fine as is.

Electrical connections in the well need to be water tight. Twist caps with gel in them will work. But best is butt splice connectors with a heat shrink or electric tape.

I’d replace it with crimp connector and heat shrink to completely make it water tight and never worry about it. Some people, after crimping, put a dab of solder as good practice. They sell the kits in the commercial stores right where they have the well pump. FB9637B2-016E-42D1-9E1E-FEFEAD88CC51.jpeg

Don’t forget to slide the heat shrink tubes over the wires BEFORE you crimp, haha.
Ask me how I know. 🙄

Latest posts

Back