Ejector pump only fails at night

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like you’re mad because you misunderstood the original post.

I’m just posting legit information, no need to get defensive.
no, I am not mad. I am stating another fact about the systems. Just stop already. There was no need for this that you posted.

UPDATE: when I place a multimeter on the unit's plug I get continuity between the ground and neutral prongs. Does this explain why the unit immediately tripped the GFCI outlet when the plumber plugged it back into the outlet, AND why it does not work now when it's plugged into an extension cord and a normal outlet?

I also tested the ground and neutral prongs on a dehumidifier which indicated no continuity, and then plugged the dehumidifier into the GFCI outlet used for the Saniflo; the dehumidifier began running. I then unplugged the dehumidifier and reconnected the Saniflo to the GFCI outlet, which tripped the outlet immediately.

Last edited:
UPDATE: when I place a multimeter on the unit's plug I get continuity between the ground and neutral prongs. Does this explain why the unit immediately tripped the GFCI outlet when the plumber plugged it back into the outlet, AND why it does not work now when it's plugged into an extension cord and a normal outlet?

I also tested the ground and neutral prongs on a dehumidifier which indicated no continuity, and then plugged the dehumidifier into the GFCI outlet used for the Saniflo; the dehumidifier began running. I then unplugged the dehumidifier and reconnected the Saniflo to the GFCI outlet, which tripped the outlet immediately.
So your unit is officially dead ? That’s what it sounds like.

Hi all,
I purchased a house in October that uses ejectors pumps in the basement kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. I had the Saniflo replaced in the bathroom after the old one failed about six weeks ago. Since then the new unit has failed twice, once supposedly as a result of a bad GFCI plug, the most recent time for reasons unknown. I’m assuming the unit is faulty, but since I know nothing about ejectors, and this is the first house I’ve ever lived in that uses well water and septic, I wanted to ask a rather silly sounding question: Is it significant that all three failures have occurred in the evening or is that pure coincidence? I ask because the basement bathroom gets used throughout the day.
Hi all,
I purchased a house in October that uses ejectors pumps in the basement kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. I had the Saniflo replaced in the bathroom after the old one failed about six weeks ago. Since then the new unit has failed twice, once supposedly as a result of a bad GFCI plug, the most recent time for reasons unknown. I’m assuming the unit is faulty, but since I know nothing about ejectors, and this is the first house I’ve ever lived in that uses well water and septic, I wanted to ask a rather silly sounding question: Is it significant that all three failures have occurred in the evening or is that pure coincidence? I ask because the basement bathroom gets used throughout the day.
I would change out the GFCI, some of them are too sensitive, after all, they all come from the land of almost right!! If it keeps tripping, the pump might be defective.

I would change out the GFCI, some of them are too sensitive, after all, they all come from the land of almost right!! If it keeps tripping, the pump might be defective.
I think the unit's electrical cord was installed incorrectly; either the ground and neutral are wrapped together or an errant wire strand from one is making contact with the other (it's probably the latter since the unit did work for a few days before it began tripping the outlet. Yesterday I plugged a dehumidifier into the same GFCI and it worked like a charm without tripping the outlet. IF push comes to shove I will probably replace the pump and the outlet.

Change the GFCI first, it's a lot cheaper, if you can do it yourself!

Most likely the switch seal is defective and allowed moisture into it. The gfci is doing what it’s intended to do. The night issue most likely coincidental. If it’s a new pump you should be able to replace it under warranty. If not you can purchase parts and rebuild it. It’s usually not cost effective to pay a plumber to rebuild them though.

Change the GFCI first, it's a lot cheaper, if you can do it yourself!
I understand and agree with you it will be cheaper, but can you please explain why I should replace the outlet when I can plug something else into it without any issue?

I could’ve swore it was posted the saniflo will not operate no matter which outlet is used now.

That pump only requires a 15amp circuit. Doesn’t matter if your gfi is 15 or 20 amp. I don’t see any reason to replace it

Most likely the switch seal is defective and allowed moisture into it. The gfci is doing what it’s intended to do. The night issue most likely coincidental. If it’s a new pump you should be able to replace it under warranty. If not you can purchase parts and rebuild it. It’s usually not cost effective to pay a plumber to rebuild them though.
Agree with you the unit is defective.
I could’ve swore it was posted the saniflo will not operate no matter which outlet is used now.
You are correct. The unit needs to be replaced. I've scheduled the plumber for this coming Monday; wish me luck!

I understand and agree with you it will be cheaper, but can you please explain why I should replace the outlet when I can plug something else into it without any issue?
Because some appliances will trip GFCI's a lot quicker than others, we have a little room fan that trips one about half the time. when we turn it off. But you may be right, it could be a defective pump or just the switch, I have seen that happen.

I believe the GFCI outlet is a 15A outlet on a 20A circuit, but am not sure.

Coming in later to this one but this sounds like more of an electrical issue than plumbing.

Do you know how many amps the pump is supposed to pull? Do you have an amp meter? If so check how many amps the pump is pulling. Check how many amps the whole circuit is pulling.

(in a perfectly wired world) CFCI’s are “supposed” to be on a dedicated circuit. If not, what other devices are on that circuit? AC unit? If it is dedicate are there any other downstream outlets? Does the CFCI trip any other times?

An ohm meter showing continuity ground to neutral is normal unless you are on a sub panel. If this circuit is on a sub panel and you have continuity, you either have a miswired panel or a faulty ground/neutral, which may not play nicely with the GFCI.

What color is the feed wire to the outlet? White/yellow (in the northeast), yellow romex is (typically) 20 amp, if so you should have a 20 amp GFCI. 20 amp outlets are “generally” identified by and extra vertical ear on the neutral.

Along those lines, does the breaker matchup with the wiring? If it’s yellow Romex it should have a 20 amp breaker.

More along those lines, what type of breaker? If it’s an arc fault or GFCI breaker, that redundancy will (again) not play nice with an additional GFCI downstream.

Like that William guy said: "With all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one.”

Back