Efficient way to heat domestic hot water during summer months?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodebg

Reaction score
We live in CT and use a wood boiler for many months to heat the house and domestic hot water.

We also have an oil fired boiler that we can use to heat hot water for the summer months. Truthfully, I find it difficult to use and pay for oil to have it go down the drain.

I was hoping that I could get some great ideas from forums members on some great solutions for heating domestic hot water during summer months.

Recently heard of a hot water tank with a heat pump and solar cell. Would something like this be a good addition to our system. Seems, I would need to be able to activate this tanks for summer use, and deactivate it during the colder season while the wood boiler is supplying the energy to heat the hot water.

Or a portable heat pump hooked up to my 60 gallon domestic hot water storage tank that works off both wood and or oil boilers?

Looking forward to some great ideas!!

Last edited:
Depending on how much HW you use, you might consider a tankless electric heater. You only heat the water that you are using and are not storing hot water. They only heat the water that is moving through the hot water lines, when the flow stops, the unit turns itself off.

Last edited:
Is that less costly than producing hot water with a Geyser, portable heat pump added to our system?

That would depend on your usage. They do use a bit of power, typical wiring is a double 60 amp breaker, but you're only heating the water you actually use. Since I live alone and am away a lot, it works well for me. I don't have to keep a tank of water hot 24-7.

Back