Easy fix? Connecting cap?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat4444443

Reaction score
The prior home owner connected their water softener to the sump pump pipe at the very top. I do not have a water softener and want to disconnect the plastic tube. Long story on why I need to do this...

There are 2 tubes. One is blue as you can see in the picture...this is for something else. I have no idea what this is...but my question is for the whitish tube above this that goes to the old water softener. Do you see how the tube connects to the main pvc pipe for the sump pump? Unfortunately, the hole to get to the connection I am showing you in the picture is quite small which makes working on fixing this super hard.

So...my question: could anyone tell me what that connector is called? I am hoping to disconnect the tube and buy a cap for the "connector" Anyone know if there is such a cap I can put in place of the tube?

If not, is there an easy way to seal the hole when I disconnect the tube? My sump pump is running like crazy but I could turn it off while I use a backup utility pump to let some sort of glue dry or something like this?

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 30
Unfortunately not - there are studs where the drywall used to hang. I would have to do a lot of destruction to make it happen.

The blue pipe looks like 1/2" pex. Just buy a 1/2" sharkbite cap and push it on where you cut the blue pipe. The white
fitting looks as though it is tapped threads into the pipe. Unscrew it out and put a plug in its place. This is what I see
in the picture.

TomFOhio - thank you!! I just needed a few keywords (I am a "sort of" DIY guy) fitting / cap / plug. I put a 1/2' plug on the white one. Will do the blue one next. It was scary because my sump pump is running and the white plastic pipe was on there too good for me to get leverage enough to pull through small hole. I took a chance and cut the pipe and prayed I had the right size. The 3/4 was too big but I had the 1/2 inch handy...put on teflon tape - got wet a few times and then the plug went right in.

Thank you so much - the Internet is truly amazing - I am old enough to appreciate the magic of the Internet compared to the old days with no one to ask...

Some of that tubing is bastard size, if you cut that and the caps dont work you may have a issue. If you can get your hand in there to unscrew it i would highly suggest you try and replace that piece of pipe.

Back