Dual sink clogged past p-trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike733

Reaction score
My bathroom has two sinks, each with its own p-trap. The pipes then disappear behind a wall before converging at a common drain. When I run the water for a little while on either one, water begins to fill the other sink. They will then drain very slowly.

I tried a hand snake, but it keeps routing to the other sink. I also tried a sink plunger without success. Is there something else I can try myself?

If not, what does this type of clog typically cost to fix? I've asked for two preliminary quotes so far, and they are both over $350.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The problem occurs if I run the water from either sink: If I run the left faucet, after about 30 seconds the right sink will start to fill up from the drain. If I wait for all the water to drain (very slowly), then run the right faucet, after about 30 seconds the left sink will star to fill up from the drain.

Since the snake kept routing to the other side, I believe they converge at a T-shaped pipe. I didn't think a picture would help much, since the pipes converge behind a wall. Let me know if my thinking is wrong and I'll take some pictures this evening.

Hi just had this issue on Xmas day-eve...
My test was the following:
1. I tried to plunge just for the sake of it... since I didn't have tools at the GF's condo..
2. Next day got tools and a hand snake, took the j trap off poured water on each side of the double sinks and realized the issue was beyond.
3. I snaked 20' felt 3 clogs, put it together and still had a backup.
Repeated 3x total still had a clog.
4. This is a high rise condo very strict, I should have popped the drain line out but I didn't want to find a rusty pipe thread and be in a real jam. Waited another day and the plumber had to do that exactly and the clog was just in the main drain line where out drain exited. As it turns out my snake probably went up not down.
5. Been thinking of cutting a pvc 3/4" and creating a hood effect so I could direct the snake in the future to be sure it was going up or down...

Thanks All...

johnjh2o,
Unfortunately I'm in a condo on the fourth floor of the building. Would a plumber have a special snake/tool for making the 90 degree turn? If not, would he have to cut away the wall panel to access the pipe behind the wall?

dfphoto,
How much did the plumber charge you and how long did it take?

As I said, the plumber unscrewed the drain pipe which is 12" from the P trap that goes into the wall. (24" counter p trap then 12" drain pipe to the wall). After removing the p trap and drain pipe, the clog was right there where it meets the main drain of the building. My assumption was the snake I had (hand held) hit the clog and went up, if I had an electric I probably would have gotten it down but since we're in a High Rise condo (full service) I stopped trying because the building super asked me to. The maintenance guys know I do a lot of work in the condo and they check my ideas/work from time to time but I'm within code - rules. (I know my limitations)

I'm not a plumber but going through this experience, I would sort of time how long it takes after you put the p trap back in to see when the water backs up. If it's say 30 sec or so you know the clog is close to the drain / where it meets. If it takes a few min. the clog is down up to a floor away. If you have a 25' snake you'd hit it at some point otherwise it went up. If you try my idea of taking a pvc plastic pipe cut 2-3" and make a hood stick it in the drain add an (arrow up) on the end towards you so you know the snake is pointed down, I think the snake will go down. I didn't get the plumber's price but it took him about 30-min at 105 an hour is his normal rate. This is Los Angeles by Beverly Hills. With all the BS of the building-signing in going up the service elevator etc I'd say 1 hour door to door of his truck.

Last edited:
BTW in a condo be careful if you use an electric snake I learned the hard way that you can ruin the snake if you don't keep it close to the pipe (3-4" feed slowly, wear vinyl gloves then leather/std work gloves that will get smelly) vinyl keeps your hands clean... go slowly with the drill out and back then wash the snake and spray or put a lot of oil to keep it from rusting after it drys outside! Run a lot of water afterwards.

Back