drywell and basement drain questions

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeesnob

Reaction score
My son bought a house about 40 years old. It has a drywell in the back yard he has no idea what kind of condition it is in. He has a basement with a floor drain and yesterday he said he looked in the drain and there is running water in the drain pipe it looks clean and has the velocity as if you turned your kitchen faucet on about 3/4 turn. This happened after snow melting and then rain and he has never seen water in there before. The drain overflowed 1 time about 2 foot diameter around the drain and then went back down. Would they tie in the drywell with this drain? Or is this a separate issue. Where would the most likely place where this would drain to. He is on city sewer. I know it could be a number of things but ideas are appreciated. Thanks

I was going to say to look at this flow drain while flowing water from your kitchen sink, however if there's a trap on this floor drain, how can flow be seen?
So he has no idea as to what's going to the dry well? Could it be for storm water from downspouts?
I'd look at where the house drains are coming down from above, where they enter the basement slab and where it would appear to go out to the city sewer system. There should be a cleanout somewhere, either inside the basement or just outside, depending on the State and codes in your area.

Do you know if the sewer was tied in when the house was built or after the fact?

Edit: So I assume he sees the dry well. Has or can he looked into it?

I was going to say to look at this flow drain while flowing water from your kitchen sink, however if there's a trap on this floor drain, how can flow be seen?
So he has no idea as to what's going to the dry well? Could it be for storm water from downspouts?
I'd look at where the house drains are coming down from above, where they enter the basement slab and where it would appear to go out to the city sewer system. There should be a cleanout somewhere, either inside the basement or just outside, depending on the State and codes in your area.

Do you know if the sewer was tied in when the house was built or after the fact?

Edit: So I assume he sees the dry well. Has or can he looked into it?

Yes he can see the drywell. He says it is full of murky water now but the water running through his basement drain pipe appears to be clear. Do not know when sewer was tied in. Thanks..

Latest posts

Back