Driving over corner of a septic field

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KTMarty

Reaction score
Hello,

I"m planning on buying a house that the septic field goes to out to a section that I want to drive a 10,000 lbs truck over (pickup with camper). The field is 3 feet down and has been driven over for the last 10 yrs.
The new line was put in to accommodate the 4th bedroom.

Below is a pic of the field and planned route.
I been told by a septic designer if I break that line it could be easily repaired.
What suggestion does the forum have? Don't do it, Place load bearing over it or ?
Thnx Marty

upload_2018-4-29_9-26-29.png
The previous owners have been using part of the field as a turn around for the last 10+ yrs as seen from the pic below
upload_2018-4-29_9-29-41.png

I hope this helps you out in time. There are a few things to consider. What you really want to prevent when you drive over a line is crushing the pipe flat underground to where no liquid is able to pass through any longer. So if you do decide to cross one the closer to the end you are the better and you absolutely never want to cross over a header line that feeds the rest of your drain fields. People have crushed pipe and got away with it for years if the soil is good enough just because the rock in the ditch will actually pick it up and allow it to seep around. I use a backhoe that weighs exactly 10,000 pounds to do all of my repairs however I avoid running straight across a ditch when covering up at least until I pack it with the bucket. The deeper your lines the better off you are and three feet is a pretty good depth. So just stay as far towards the end as possible. If you do sink a tire then you more than likely crushed a pipe and would need to dig that area up, add a new section of line and rock, if not you cut off all the lines past that area.

Latest posts

Back