Drill holes in my waste pipe?????

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassjohn

Reaction score
Sewage smell wafting up from my basement. Followedthe smell to my spare waste pipe and noticed 4 drilled holes where the pipe meets the floor. See photo (zoom in below yellow lettering) What the heck is this?? Is this supposed to be a vent or something? I plugged the holes with silicone and smell immediately gone. Just want to make sure I'm not creating a pressure issue. Any advice?
Thanks!

image.jpg

Sewage smell wafting up from my basement. Followedthe smell to my spare waste pipe and noticed 4 drilled holes where the pipe meets the floor. See photo (zoom in below yellow lettering) What the heck is this?? Is this supposed to be a vent or something? I plugged the holes with silicone and smell immediately gone. Just want to make sure I'm not creating a pressure issue. Any advice?
Thanks!

Most likely they were drilled to drain some water at some point?
If it were my basement I would cut it off flush with floor and install a mechanical plug.

Thanks for the advice. So silicone patch is not a long term solution?

Thanks for the advice. So silicone patch is not a long term solution?

It's in the code book under section br549 that all holes siliconed shut holes must be promptly covered by 3 unwrinkled wraps of gorilla tape, this must be completed while silicone is wet. Sprinkle with fairy dust and tap twice with magic wand while clicking heels together. Then douse liberally with holy water to check tape integrity.

Unfortunately your silicone has dried, so it's not a long term solution that any self respecting professional would do.

Last edited:
Agree with frodo and why isn't that pipe sleeved through concrete?
Plumbing Code 312.2 No plumbing piping shall be embedded in concrete or masonry. I'd follow frodos recommendations along with installing a sleeve and caulk between the sleeve and the piping.
IPC:
305.1 Corrosion. Pipes passing through concrete or cinder I
walls and floors or other corrosive material shall be protected
against external corrosion by a protective sheathing or wrapping
or other means that will withstand any reaction from the
lime and acid of concrete, cinder or other corrosive material.
Sheathing or wrapping shall allow for movement including
expansion and contraction of piping. Minimum wall thickness
of material shall be 0.025 inch (0.64 mm).

Problems and Deterioration
Cast iron is extremely strong and durable when used appropriately and protected from adverse exposure. It is much stronger in compression than in tension, therefore it is commonly found in columns, but not in structural beams. It is, however, highly susceptible to corrosion (rusting) when exposed to moisture and it has several typical problems which usually can be identified by visual inspection. The following sections will identify and discuss the most common problems encountered with cast iron. For general guidance on inspecting for cast iron failures, see 05010-01-G.

Back