Drainage pipe leak .

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBowie

Reaction score
HI.
I'm new to this forum and I need some advice.
I've been noticing small water puddles on the kitchen floor. The water is collecting on the corner floor areas below the sink and where it makes an "L".
Two seperate plumbers came over. Discovered the leak is coming from the drainage pipe in the wall. He couldn't completely access it from inside, so he went outside, hammered out a hole and found the leak.
He said he going to have to jackhammer the concrete to change the pipe or make a new line to the main , etc.
First guy said, finding the main line is the most important, second guy didn't mention that too much. He gave an option of fixing it from the outside v inside . I'm wondering if this is a huge job? I don't want too many things to be jackhammered.
I know it needs to get fixed but I'm not sure who to go with or what the cost should be...
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20221122_160925.jpg
    20221122_160925.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20221122_154420.jpg
    20221122_154420.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221122_092520.jpg
    20221122_092520.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
You would need to know if that pipe continues I to the basement, if you have one, or connects to your main sewer pipe in the yard, if that part of the pipe is bad the other ends are also suspect

If you're worried about jackhammering you can look into a plumbing company that does brush coating. It might be a little expensive but then you don't have to rip everything out and can be done in a day and not have a mess. Either way you go a lot of times if you have a leak in a wall or ground within the house and have to do demoing, your homeowners may help cover some of the cost as far as the opening, closing and put back. And if you have proper documents to show you did everything without opening and went through brushcoating they may cover some of that.

I greatly advise to get a restoration company out to see how much water damage. If its after the trap you will have water with bacteria in it and soaking into sheetrock and your cabinets. Also mold could grow as well. They will come out do moisture readings and infrared scans to see where the water traveled to. They will contact your insurance company and will open a claim. You are only responsible for your deductible. Insurance will cover the rest apart from the cost of the cause of loss which would be the leaking pipe. You need to pay for that separately.

Latest posts

Back