Drainage issues on two toilets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewie8008

Reaction score
I have 2 bathrooms. We recently noticed gurgling noises coming from both toilets. You can even see the water bubbling up in the toilet. One of the toilets became stopped up, filling nearly to the top. Plunged it and it slowly went down. Then the toilet in the other bathroom was doing the same. We then noticed when plunging one toilet the toilet in the other bathroom would empty out. Also, the sinks started to gurgle and a small amount of water comes up through the sink when plunging. The shower is also very slow to drain. The sinks both seem to drain normally. I plunged very hard on both toilets and it seemed the more I plunge, the worse it gets...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds like you have a stoppage in your main line somewhere. Your going to need to call a plumber or drain cleaning folks to run a snake down the mains

In my opinion, there are too many things that could go wrong by trying to do this by yourself. You can damage your pipes if pushed wrong, and damage your body if you don't have full control of the power snake. For a few bucks more, you can get a professional at your house, guarantee the job is done correctly, have a limited future warranty on the work, you stay clean, less frustrations....I could go on and on but I think you get my drift.

I woke up this morning and all toilets are flushing normal... Is it possible it wasn't that bad and slowly unjammed?

Probably the liquid slowly made its way out of the pipes, and after a few flushes and showers, it will clog up again.

It's possible but unlikely like havasu said. I have only saw it once where a drain was plugged and I ran water and emptied sink fulls for 5 minutes and it unclogged itself. However it was more of a slow drain than clogged. Definitely best to call in a pro.

I called a plumbernd they quoted me $300.. This looks to be my inevitable choice.

Took a bath in the spare bathroom, drained all the water afterwards and about 5 minutes later the masterbathtub was full of poo water, then the spare. Bathroom also filled up, but it didn't really look like poop, just little pieces of debris. My stepfather used to do commercial plumbing and he seems to think the septic tank is full or the field line is having an issue......? The plan is to dig it up tomorrow and check... Thoughts?

Oh, after about an hour the tubs drained completely on their own and both toilets were lower than normal water level without ever being flushed....

Ah fair enough. That would make sense. I would check the septic first for sure and if its fine then yes you need to auger the line out to the septic

Problem solved. Tank wasn't completely full, but didn't havea "T" fitting on the line going into the tank. Was jammed up there. We pumped the entire tank empty. Good to go. Thanks for all the advice

chewie8008 said:
Problem solved. Tank wasn't completely full, but didn't havea "T" fitting on the line going into the tank. Was jammed up there. We pumped the entire tank empty. Good to go. Thanks for all the advice

Make sure if you completely drained your septic to add new enzymes, the septic system cannot and will not function properly without the initial boost of enzyme bacteria to erode the solids. It needs a baffle tee as well with a pipe goins own about 12 to 14 inches off the floor. Septic systems are great systems if properly maintained, remember u want solids on the bottom with a layer of waste water in the middle and a crust if you will of floating solids on top. This means everything is ok, still wouldn't hurt to clean your drain out as well may have had some debris float back up the line and be waiting to cause trouble

Back