Drain/Vent Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwb31

Reaction score
I am in the process of finishing my basement, my questions is:

Can I use the vent for the tub/shower as a drain for a bar sink? I believe it is either 2 inch ABS or 1 1/2 inch ABS.

If so what would be the easiest way to vent the bar sink? Would I just tie the vent back into the tub/shower vent above where I connected the drain into the vent?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited:
That is dependant upon the pipe size and what code is in use in your area. In my area, a bar sink could drain into a 2" vent, but not an 11/2" vent.

it may well depend on how the tub was vented, if it was connected with a t wye and the vent coming vertically off of the top of the trap arm then No, it would fail as a dwv fitting but could serve as a vent. pictures would help, usually I see the lav acting as a wet vent for the toilet and the shower and in this case also you could not legally use the vent as a drainage pipe because one T wye ( sani t ) would be stacked on top of the other.. it must be a symetrical t wye. it depends as phishfood has mentioned where the code is where you live.

a bar sink likely would not cause issues, but i wouldnt say you should do it that way.

Here are 2 pictures of what I have, the problem I am having is we have in floor radiant heat so trying to break up concrete to run another drain is going to be expensive and difficult. Any other ideas as to how I can get a bar sink into this configuration? I live in Minnesota if that helps at all. Thanks.

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

mwb31 said:
I am in the process of finishing my basement, my questions is:

Can I use the vent for the tub/shower as a drain for a bar sink? I believe it is either 2 inch ABS or 1 1/2 inch ABS.

If so what would be the easiest way to vent the bar sink? Would I just tie the vent back into the tub/shower vent above where I connected the drain into the vent?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I highly doubt that's code you would be wet venting your tub

Back