Drain Sinks to Sump Pump - Code Violation

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkeyeOne

Reaction score
I was hoping for some help on the Uniform Plumbing Code. I have an issue where a homeowner installed their own kitchen and bathroom sinks and had the sinks drain directly to the sump pump pit. Once the pit got full, the sump would pump the water out.

I believe this is an obvious violation of the Uniform Plumbing Code. Can anyone here confirm with citation to the code?

Thank you so much.

The UPC and IPC both have specific provisions for sumps that receive drainage from any plumbing fixture. There are specifics regarding the installation but there is no code against having lavatories and kitchen sinks connected to a sump.

Check UPC 710 for some of the details.

I cannot cite any specific part of the UPC. In my area we use our own code with IPC additions and modifications. But let me ask you this. Are the drains going from the sinks directly to the sump underground without traps like a normal plumbing installation, but with a sump instead of a main? Or are they piped exposed with or without traps? Is it a standard sump or is it designed for waste water? A sump designed for waste or soil water must be sealed and vented. Maybe answering these questions along with a few more details could help plbgbiz or the others familiar with the UPC to lead you in the right direction. As plbgbiz said, there is no code against it, but the specifics are important.

Latest posts

Back