Drain Pump install

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick7924

Reaction score
If I run the discharge pipe to the existing septic line, which is obviously vented, do I still need to vent the pump separately?

If I run the discharge pipe to the existing septic line, which is obviously vented, do I still need to vent the pump separately?
Is the pump inside a sealed container ?

What do your instructions say ?

Have yet to purchase Saniswift drain pump which is fully enclosed with (3) 1 1/2 drain ports, discharge port and a vent port. I was hoping to connect discharge to existing drain line going to septic, but not sure how to handle vent, which must be two-way air vent as air needs to freely flow
both ways? Researching different systems, but found this one which is economical and has good reviews.

For basement draining of washer and utility sink only. Really do not want to break into any walls to vent?!
The purpose for the vent is to counteract displacement, especially in pumps. The reason why the vent for sanitary systems to be generally out the roof, is to not allow sewer gases to fill unintended areas. These gases are including underground natural gas leaks due to damage or other. Within the last few years, we have had to run tracer wire with the sewer here in NC. This was due to an event where a company did some underground boring, hit a gas line, then hit someones sewer, pulling the boring device out and the gas went into the sewer and thusly into the house......all this to say, just giving the most information to you so you can make an informed decision........vents do more than just allow the drain to drain nicely....................most of these do noit have to do with your situation as sewer gas cannot flow into the sump under normal conditions, as the discharge is full of water and creating a trap.........

You COULD,

-run the vent outside, from the basement, and run the pipe on the outside of the house to the roof, or just turn vertical and install trap upsidedown
-run the vent outside, underground, away from any structures, them stub the pipe out of the ground vertically and install a trap upside down

or this:

https://ipsplumbingproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Studor_Technical_Manual.pdf#page=32
you MUST USE an IPS STUDOR VENT, not all AAVs work the same. I have done this before on an inspected project, and it has worked well now for over a year. Pay attention to the drawing and it will work well. Most will not know this IS an option.

I am not sugessting any specific way, and this should not be misunderstood as permission or advice, that is your liability and yours alone

Latest posts

Back