Drain pipes under sink won't stay up

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauryFrench

Reaction score
Good day everyone.

I had to replace some kitchen cabinets and a disposer. Now, all is back together, and I cannot for the life of me get the drain pipe assembly that goes from the left sink to the disposal and down to the P trap to stay on. I bought new vinyl washers, new nuts, etc. and the pipe coming out of the disposer is brand new (as is the whole disposer.) It 's like the pipes are too small.

Most of the pipe is original which means 21 years old, but I can't see anything wrong with it. And even then, the new washer and nuts on each side should hold things up I would think.

I can take the shortcut and PVC glue them on, but that is not the right thing to do so I hope you guys have some insight for me.

Ideas?

Okay, after typing in the request for help I made progress. I replaced the tail pipe (?) from the sink without the disposer, and the washer/nut stayed on much better. It seems to be holding everything on better even though the disposer still seems loose. I will make one more replacement; a slightly shorter pipe that goes into the drain in the wall. (obviously I don't know the professional terms.) This will let the assembly go up a little higher onto the tail pipe and the disposer pipe.

I had to quit assuming that it just had to work because it worked before, and I made progress.

Thanks for listening.

Back