Drain lines below tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron the Novice

Reaction score
8A5C33DD-CF74-4676-9260-4F752C656908.jpeg ED1DF1CE-E3FC-4D74-BC65-A84AAB0823AD.jpeg 9043E699-2A14-4621-800C-59514E3241E3.jpeg Hey guys! Brand new here, thank you in advance and sorry if this has been covered...

I’m remodeling my bathroom, started to take the tub overflow and drain off and they basically fell over. Huge hole in the pipe, almost looks like copper was used! How would you replace the pipes? Can solder be removed and a new pipe dropped in its place? Thanks for any help, again!!

Post more pictures, far away, close up, more info showing the wider area.

It that a hole cut into a slab?

Describe everything going on.

Meanwhile if, fingers crossed, the drain pipe higher up in your picture is still fairly solid, you can cut it near that old drum trap, and convert to pvc with a new P trap.
You can join the old metal drain to pvc with a rubber and metal Fernco type coupling with clamps.

You can cut the coppercoming out of the slab.leaving enough room for a (transition)coupling that goes from copper to pvc you could install another drum trap or install a ptrap without a clean out there may have been a reason there was a drum trap unless you have access to the drum trap cleanout they are very difficult to snake when clogged

That is a hole cut in the slab, I think they did work to add a bath behind this one, I have a toilet that butts up against this shower wall. The drain where it’s rigid on the edge is where it rotted out. Is copper appropriate there? Should I cut close to the elbow and run new lines up?

Attachments

• 4DB72E10-8774-4732-861A-8BBE3B9D6AD7.jpeg
    4DB72E10-8774-4732-861A-8BBE3B9D6AD7.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 7
Here is a good little video, showing how to use a rubber coupling with a metal shield around it with clamps.

To join old copper to pvc.

The tub was draining really slowly when we were using it. We stopped as paint was coming off the tub sides.
Here is a good little video, showing how to use a rubber coupling with a metal shield around it with clamps.

That seems like an insanely simple repair for this! Just might work!

You will need to build a P trap with heavier drain/waste/vent type of pvc pipe and fittings.
Do not use any of the lightweight stuff you will see offered for use under sinks.

Yours will be buried.

Back