drain for shower

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermaker27

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a shower in my basement. The house was built in 2004, so the plumbing should be fine. In my basement there is an area where the plumbing has been roughed in. The 4" stool line and lavoratory lines are sticking up through the concrete floor. Above, in the ceiling, or rather between the floor joists is a pvc pipe intended for use as a vent, this pipe goes up through the wall and connects to the pvc vent lines in the attic. Now, my problem lies in the pit the contractor left with a pvc pipe stub for the bathtub/shower drain. This pipe in the pipe is rather close to the basement wall. When I stud in the wall the distance from the studded in wall to the center of the 4" pipe for the stool will shrink down from 48" to about 42-43". Adding a shower and having clearance between the shower and stool will be very tight, in fact I don't think there is enough room for both of them. I am going to cut the concrete and cut the present shower drain line behind the 45degree elbow and install another elbow pointed in the opposite direction, which will then enable me to move the shower much further away from the stool and give plenty of room in that area. Now, my main question is this. Since this is a newer home and since I cannot see under the concrete, is the line intended for the shower drain trapped under the concrete floor before it reaches the main sewer line, or do I need to install a trap directly underneath the proposed shower drain? I know this house was built to code and inspected so I guess it is just a code question?

Back